Hemp seed is possibly one of the most simple and effective carp attractors and feeding stimulants of all time. It offers powerful feeding signals for carp and lots of other coarse fish, including big Roach With a high oil content, amazing holding power, simple preparation and very low price when compared to other options. As with all particle baits the hemp seed needs some pre prep, but it is such a simple process that many anglers prepare their hemp whilst they are fishing, and use it as soon as it is ready, this is known as hot hemp, there is just no way to pre-prepare and keep it as fresh as this!
How to prepare hempseed
- Soak your hemp seed in a bucket of cold water for 24 hours.
- Tip your hemp seed plus the soaking water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once the pan is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes. You may need to add a little water during simmering to keep the hemp covered as it stews.
- When it is ready, the seed cases will split and little white shoots will come out of the splits in the seed, The seed cases will also darken in colour, anywhere from dark brown to almost black.
- Strain and use immediately, or bag up for freezing